California Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Deploying $150 million to cities,
counties, and tribes to help combat the spread of COVID-19 for those
individuals who are experiencing homelessness;
- So far, has procured 5,000 rooms.
- Project Room Key;
- For homeless individuals who have tested positive for, been exposed to, or are in a high risk population of COVID-19;
- Received an affirmation from FEMA that costs associated with
implementing and standing up non-congregate homeless shelters will be
reimbursable up to 75% for jurisdictions across the state;
- Reimbursable costs will include the cost of the hotel/motel and the wraparound services;
- Approval runs until April 30, but FEMA is open to extensions to that if the crisis last longer than that; and
- Will share out data and reports on this as they get it.
- Working in collaboration with DSS and local continuums of care on this;
- Locals are working on the ground to make sure these hotel/motels are working and operational and the state is helping support them;
- Visit CDPH website for additional guidance on this;
- Department of General Services has been playing a critical role in identifying 25,000 rooms that are available for Project Room Key; and
- Cal OES is providing technical assistance and support of the FEMA reimbursement process.